Tuesday, December 7, 2010

A Woman on My Mind

When I was young, I look alike my mom. I was every bit my mother's daughter. You see, this particular type of ownership doesn't lie in outward appearances or is sanctified by a piece of paper. It's in, and from, the heart. Unspoken words, loving hugs and an intuitive relationship told me in more ways than one that my mother was mine and I, hers.

I count myself lucky to have been blessed with an angel who has seen me through many falls and guided me towards many triumphs. But there were lot of sacrifice on her part. Mama has always been the epitome of strength and love in my life. So it came as no surprise that when I embraced motherhood some 3 years ago, I, too, readily signed on for this lifelong commitment - and the most important assignment of my life.

Despite the trials (like when a child hits a high fever), the romantic notions about motherhood have never worn thin. I'm fortunate to have a role model who taught me about the selfless giving mothers are always best noted for. It's this same selflessness that the single mothers in our midst implore. According to writer Jill Churchill, "There's no way to be a perfect mother-but million ways to be a good one".

Single mothers like my mama demonstrate their faithfulness and commitment, day in and day out, on their own. they willingly submit to the prices reward of knowing that the little blessings that come their way - like cherubic smiles and butterfly kisses - are well worth it. They aren't waiting and praying for men who think they should be rewarded jst because they marry a single mother.

The opportunity to influence a child is the most demanding, most heart-rending... and most rewarding job a woman may ever have in her lifetime. Motherhood isn't for the faint-hearted, it is very much an endurance test. even if the thanks she receives are few and far between, it doesn't diminish the importance of what she does. As a mom to Rayhan and Iman, I've made a lot of mistakes too. Though the thank you's haven't flooded in, but I'll settle any time for those quirky grins and sloppy kisses along with the claim of "My Mummy" from my kids.

And as for my mama, after all these years, rather than resist her maternal concerns, I take pleasure in having another chance to hear her voice and call myself her daughter. May the legacy I pass on my children be just as wondrously magical!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

At last i see a full-length entry again from you, mummy anne, although the new profile pic cofuses me for awhile. So you're Khairani Ismail, with a different surname from Hjh
Sue whom i thought was your sister. Or is Ismai your hubby?
In any case congratulations for a beatiful reflection, a fitting attribute for your mother and a wonderful analysis of your own feelings after becoming a mother. Yes, the sacrifices that a mother makes often go unacknowledged by her children and a child who does appreciate all that her mother did for her, would make a wonderful mother herself - like mummy anne. Your two children are blessed to hae you as their mother.
Sacrifices by a mother, father, relatives or even friends, have the quality of giving their own satisfaction. You feel so good after doing something for the person you love, whether he or she appreciates it or not. You've done it in the name of Allah and that's a great satisfaction in itself. And when the sacrifice is appreciated it can bring tears to your own self for being appreciated. That's the reason why people, especiially mothers, spare nothing as a sacrifice for their children.
So, rejoice over the fact that you're blessed wiih two wonderful children to shower your love over, Ani. Always remember that they have made it possible for you to reflect the kindness that your own mother had shown your and to to even be like her. Allah Bless you all.

mummy anne said...

askum... thank u for d words of encouragement. i hope Allah hv mercy on me n bless my children. InsyaAllah...

nway, anne is my nickname, khairani is my 1st name, ismail is my surname. hjh sue is my sis in law.

i feel good everytime i read ur comments, syukur...

norzah said...

Oh, Hjh Sue is your sis-in-law. I thought so, Thanks for clearing up the picture. Salam.